Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Remembering...



November is National Alzheimer's awareness month. According to the Alzheimer's Association 2009 Alzheimer's Disease Facts and Figures report, there are more than 5 million American's living with Alzheimer's and as many as 10 million family caregivers. Alzheimer's is a disease that robs the individual of their ability to remember, from simple day to day information to the significant memories of life. Little by little remembering becomes an impossible task for those affected by the disease.

I would bet if each of us thinks hard we will discover that near or far we know someone that has been affected by this disease. Perhaps take a moment to think of that person, or their family and remember on their behalf.

There are many people that I will be remembering for but one person in particular is my father. At the care facility that he is in they have these sheets of paper that you can fill out and put up in the residents rooms. On the papers it says " I remember when..." You can then write in a memory that you have of that person. They say that it helps the residents remember, but I think it just helps us as family and friends remember.

So papa this is my "I remember when..." I remember when you had that little brown car and you would round up Brent and I and take us on 'adventures'. Driving north, south, east, or west wherever you thought would be fun. Driving until the car overheated, which was when the adventure always began. We would be stuck wherever the car had overheated for at least a couple of hours. I remember the fun of wandering through book and antique stores, and stopping in local diners. I remember getting to discover new things and seeing things from a different perspective.

I remember our adventures.

Do you have a "remember when"?

To those who have suffered and continue to suffer with this disease may they not be forgotten.

Peace,
Amanda

2 comments:

  1. Daughter Dearest,
    Thanks for honoring your father in such a wonderful way and supporting me through these difficult months.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. This tribute to your father brings tears to my eyes....I remember a brother that I thought of as a friend walking through 18" of snow from his house in Woodburn to our house there; sitting by the warm fireplace, sipping tea, visiting for a while and then heading out for home. Just a little bit of time, but remembered.
    Auntie

    ReplyDelete