Sunday, October 25, 2009

Speech Class and Circumstance



One of the classes that you are required to take here at Princeton Seminary is speech. It is a one hour a week class that lasts the entire year. Some seem to think it is great because they perceive it as an easy 'A' course. Well I happen to dislike it with a burning passion. Not because I don't believe in training future public speakers but because it is a class that has so far achieved to teach me nothing other then the fact that I am short.

You are laughing aren't you? Thinking that I am just dwelling on my height deficiency. Truth is though speech class has actually taught me I am short. The second day of class you have to get up in front of the pulpit/podium and lead a mini church service, you have to call everyone to worship and read some scripture. While doing this you are recorded so that you can be forced to watch yourself later and pick apart what you need to work on. Well I got up to take my turn and (yes, what you are thinking is correct) I could barely see over the podium. The Professor offered to lower it, hahahahaha oh so funny given that fact that you can't actually do that. He then proceeded to tell me that pulpits in churches are generally quite large so I would just need to get used to it.

Thanks man, because I was unaware of the fact that pulpits are big and I am not and that that might be a problem!

But wait folks there is more!

Then during my conference to look over the tape of my presentation my Professor gave me a few suggestions.

1. "It would be great if you could look up more while you are reading, although given your circumstance I understand that might not be possible."
2. You might want to find a more natural place for your hands. I usually put mine on the pulpit, although given your circumstance that may be more awkward.

The advice was utterly invaluable! What I learned? The technical term for being short is "circumstance".

I have shared this story with my floor mates and it has become something to laugh about, but in honor of my circumstance my mates Chelsea and Elizabeth made this special step stool to help the next time I have to face the speech dragon and stand behind the pulpit.




3 comments:

  1. Most forward thinking churches I've been in have stools, steps,etc. available for lecturn/pulpit so that ALL members of the congregation can help lead in worship. Seems like the "circumstance" was an inhospitable classroom - perhaps the conversation should have been about how we can help create a spirit of welcome in our churches so that the priesthood of all believers can be more than just lip service. ~ Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like(and the foot stool shows)that you have two good friends. Keep using the positive spirit that you have....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi-reading the blog after about a month's absence, and this one just about made me pee my pants. Yes, indeed, you do have a circumstance. Actually, I love the stool. If I needed one, I'd put in an order. Phil

    ReplyDelete