Friday, October 2, 2009

Mistakes, Blunders, and Miscalculation

I think the first mistake is always the hardest to make. (Kinda like that Cat Steven's song, Oh wait! Just kidding that is "The First Cut is the Deepest") Not only is it the hardest but it more often then not is the one you end up remembering. Now there are big mistakes and little ones, mistakes that turn into a hilarious story down the line and those, well that would rather just be forgotten.

Like most people I am not a big fan of mistakes, I try to avoid making them, but I have discovered that even against my best efforts mistakes happen. ( I know, profound thought?) Why all the discussion of mistakes? There is this glorious thing that you are given when you start at a new school in a new program, it is pristine, it is called a transcript. Every time you start over working towards a new degree it's like you get to hit the reset button, you again can have the perfect transcript and the perfect GPA. For some the transcript and GPA remain in perfect condition while for others it loses some of it's shine. For me it is inevitable it will lose some of its shine.

I am not a 4.0 student never was, never will be, and to be clear I am OK with that. To each their own. What makes it hard though is accepting making that first mistake, accepting the first mark that will alter the transcript forever. Its like in art class when you have to make the first mark on the paper. Without making the mark nothing beautiful can come out of it, but if you don't make the mark nothing can ruin the perfect piece of paper.

So Hebrew is my first mark on the paper (Shhh! Don't tell the CPM*) . Now I know that it would be argued by many that the term 'mistake' is a bit harsh when discussing grades, and transcripts. So here are a bunch of synonyms for the same thing, error, fault, inaccuracy, blunder, slip, miscalculation, oversight, gaffe, the list could continue. Perhaps 'mistake' is a bit harsh, but whatever you chose to call it, the first blunder one must make is always the most difficult.

From here on out though I haven't got much to lose. The paper is already marked on might as well finish the picture.

*CPM- Committee on Preparation for Ministry

Amanda

1 comment:

  1. OK, I've got to admit to being curious. I like the psychobabble about mistakes, but I don't actually know what's happening with Hebrew. Did you fail a quiz (no big deal), are you struggling to learn the language (bigger deal) or did you get kicked out of the class for being too short (really big deal)? Hebrew is tough. Some people get, some don't. I didn't. Personally I connected with Greek. Julie didn't connect with either. Shalom! (That's about all the Hebrew I remember) Phil

    ReplyDelete